Our forum is experiencing technical difficulties with comments being displayed. We apologize for the inconvience.

Reply To: can you share your experience with ifosfamide? can we have a general discussion?

GCS Project Home Forum Chemo Treatments & Options can you share your experience with ifosfamide? can we have a general discussion? Reply To: can you share your experience with ifosfamide? can we have a general discussion?

Kathy
Keymaster

Hi Linda,

I’m happy to hear that ifosfamide is shrinking the lung tumors! It is difficult drug, but such good news that it is working!

I hope that others will join in this discussion on ifosfamide, but until then, I wanted to share Diane’s experience with the medication. She was on ifosfamide (with Mesna to protect the kidneys while on the drug) for 5 months. Her disease was stable on this, but she had to switch off of it after 5 months because of bone marrow suppression. It wasn’t an easy drug by any means, but she felt that having stable disease made it worth continuing.

Her next treatment was cyclophosphamide (Cytoxan) with Avastin (an anti-angiogenic that slows the growth of blood vessels that “feed” the tumor). She was on Cytoxan and Avastin for 1 year, 10 months, and it was easier to tolerate. This regimen was prescribed by Dr. Michael Birrer.

Everyone responds a bit differently to each of these drugs, but it’s helpful to learn from others. Diane wrote up an outline of her treatments and included them in the Forum under the topic “Chemo Treatments and Options”“What has worked for you?”

What has worked for you?

Hope this helps and that others weigh in on their experiences, too.

All the best,
Kathy