Our forum is experiencing technical difficulties with comments being displayed. We apologize for the inconvience.

Reply To: can you share your experience with ifosfamide? can we have a general discussion?

GCS Project Home Forum Chemo Treatments & Options can you share your experience with ifosfamide? can we have a general discussion? Reply To: can you share your experience with ifosfamide? can we have a general discussion?

Kathy
Keymaster

Hi Linda,

This group understands all too well the anxiety and the “new normal.”

A little followup on your questions/concerns…

Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide) is an oral medication, which makes taking it convenient. It’s taken daily. It’s been around for a long time – I remember it from my early days in nursing.

Bone marrow suppression (sometimes called bone marrow depression) is a side effect of Ifosfamide, Cytoxan and many other chemotherapeutic agents. If the blood count is too low, your physician will use your lab results (CBC and diff, platelet count) to review the degree of bone marrow suppression and make a decision about whether to reduce the dose of the medication and/or spread the doses farther apart. It’s a decision that can disappoint you – you want the most drug you can get! – but if the counts drop too low, you are at risk for complications. Facilities have guidelines in place to help determine how to direct care, when to replace blood cells, and so on. It’s a balancing act.

This article does a nice job of explaining what the physician will assess – red blood cell count, white blood cell count (in particular, the neutrophils) and platelet count.
There are side effects from low blood counts – low red blood cell count causes anemia, low white cell count can lead to infection and low platelet count can lead to bleeding.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/bone-marrow-suppression-during-chemotherapy-2249318

I hope this helps.
Best to you!
Kathy