Clear all

Follow up control

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@margret)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

My Mum underwent a total hysterectomy and exported 60 lymphnodes (two where cancerogen, not seen on the CT befor the operation), at the moment she has chemotherapy. After the 4th cyclus Carboplatin/Taxol is scheduled a CT. My question is how should be the follow up, should be made a PET scan?

Posted : 06/06/2019 7:36 pm
 ann
(@ann)
Trusted Member

Margret,
I continued to have CT scans.

Posted : 08/06/2019 1:52 am
(@margret)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

In what frequency? Thank you!

Posted : 08/06/2019 12:47 pm
 ann
(@ann)
Trusted Member

My doctor recommended having one every three months for six months. He then recommended going to six months for two scans After that it was to be once a year. I was not satisfied with that - I did not want that cancer to come back and not get it early. I got CT scans every three months for the first year. I am now getting them done every four months through this second year. I will be at two years in October. I expect to go to the six month scan once I pass 2 years cancer free. Having scans that often has helped my peace of mind which is why I did that. I checked with the doctor and technicians about the radiation. They felt comfortable that I was not getting too much radiation from having the scans so often.

I am not recommending this course - I am just telling you what I did/am doing concerning scans. I chose to have the scans that often for my peace of mind! I do not know what is the right or wrong course concerning scans; I only did what I knew I wanted to do!

Let me know if I can be of any other help!

Ann

Posted : 08/06/2019 1:13 pm
(@margret)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I'm asking always my self what would be the consequense if the tumore has grown again. Did your doctor told you what would be the treatment option? They told us that if the tumore appear again it would be more agressive. I guess in this case my mum woul not do nothing animore, thats why I'm not sure what would be the best control plan for her.

Posted : 13/06/2019 9:49 am
 ann
(@ann)
Trusted Member

Margret,

We did not discuss further options of treatment if the tumors returned. I guess partially because it would depend upon where the tumor was located. I, too, was told that if the tumors returned they would be more aggressive. That is what makes this cancer so hard to combat! My goal in getting the scans so often was so that we could catch the tumor early if the cancer returned.

I know this is a hard time! It is also hard to care for a parent - knowing what is best for them. I took care of my parents for 10 years. It is hard to make those judgments for someone else wanting to do what is best for them. I was constantly second-guessing myself. I finally realized all I could do was the best I could do. I might have made mistakes, but second-guessing myself was of no value - you can't change a decision once it is made. You just have to move forward knowing you did the best you could!

Ann

Posted : 14/06/2019 1:32 am
Share:

News and Events