ann
(@ann)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thank you for your help!

Posted : 29/10/2017 10:40 pm
(@diane)
Member Moderator

Reminder: This is most likely your insurance carriers enrollment period.

Being diagnosed with a rare disease can be very expensive. You may have to travel and you may have to pay for expenses out of pocket. But in order to give ourselves a fighting chance, we need to go to where we have the best options.

For those of you with private insurance, right now is the enrollment period for most insurances. You may want to examine your policy and learn about what it covers. If you have a limited HMO or a bare bones policy, think about upgrading to a policy with broader coverage. It will cost more up front but it could give you more options. If you have the option to select a policy that allows you to travel to major cancer centers with GCS expertise, review it and consider the extra cost versus the benefit. Give yourself a fighting chance.

I just became Medicare eligible this year. I opted for Standard Medicare because almost all hospitals and practitioners accept standard Medicare. I also opted for a high end Part B Supplement. Our expenses can be extremely high and I have found the the value of my plan outweighs the cost.

In addition to Standard Medicare, Medicare contracts out to "Advantage" plans that are comprehensive in terms of coverage. These plans are attractive unless you have a rare cancer. These plans often limit access outside of their network. Some are very restrictive. Please review the options when making your selection.

Insurance can be very complicated with all the co-pays and deductibles. If you have difficulty understanding our options, please consult someone who understands your options. It can make a difference in your access to care.

Posted : 28/10/2017 1:32 pm
(@graciela)

Another test post for Enrollment period

Posted : 15/07/2018 10:59 pm
Share:

News and Events