Notifications
Clear all

Integrative therapies

10 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@michelle)
Topic starter

I had a great meeting with my naturopath today. She is a Fellow of the American Board of Naturopathic Oncology and she has specialized experience in naturopathic support for cancer patients. Dr Khara has worked with women on carboplatin/taxol and ifosfamide. I'm more comfortable with the prospect of chemotherapy because of her support.

The supplements she recommends include:
Ubiquinol
Vit D3
Ascorbic acid
Coriolus mushroom capsule
Boswellia (Hold for 48 hours pre and post all chemotherapy treatments.)
NES Infoceuticals/energetic therapies - This is a modality that I do in my practice.
Melatonin
Modified Citrus Pectin powder
Glutamine - 5 days following each cycle of chemotherapy, starting 24 hours after chemo.
Astragalus (for immune and blood support)

I'm also on 2 Chinese herbal formulas, CBD oil, starting Maitake, Reishi and shiitake mushroom capsules.

I will be looking into acupuncture and marijuana.

My diet is a whole food, plant based diet excluding sugar, salt, and oil. This is based work by Dr Michael Greger and Dr. Joel Fuhrman.

Exercise: This is very important. I purchased a rebounder (little trampoline) because it doesn't take a lot of energy to use, is easy on the joints, and is excellent at moving lymph.

Mediation is also something that I will be attempting. Calming my mind is not easy.

Are there other things that have helped you get through chemo?

Posted : 11/09/2018 7:54 am
 ann
(@ann)
Trusted Member

Great information! Thank you for sharing!

Posted : 12/09/2018 12:51 pm
(@michelle)
Topic starter

Fasting for two days before each chemotherapy seems to chemo protective effects on normal cells. I heard there are clinical trials going on looking at this.
This a good video about fasting and cancer that can be viewed on Amazon, (free with Prime): Science of Fasting

Posted : 17/09/2018 9:18 am
(@michelle)
Topic starter

I had my first carbo/taxol treatment yesterday. I'm feeling good this morning.

Leading up to it, I fasted for 65 hrs, continued fasting through treatment, and then ate a bit, easily digested foods, about 5 hrs after. I felt good doing the fast except at one point I dehydrated myself with an epson salt bath and didn't realize until I started feeling light headed. Oops.

During treatment I drank a lot of water and used iced packs on my hands and feet.

I'm taking CBD oil but have my marijuana handy should I start getting nauseous. I just have to figure out how to use a vape pen.

Today I will take a epson salt bath and do some rebounding to prevent any edema.

I'm having my second acupuncture session tomorrow.The first was last week before chemo.

Posted : 02/10/2018 7:37 am
(@abuckingham)

Michelle:

THANK YOU so much for sharing what you are trying, and how it is working. I am on this site because my mother battled GCS for 6.5 years, and I am trying to help when I can, and in whatever way I can, as far as support, and what she went through. I hope that the chemo continues to not give you side effects. I just added the video you shared to my "watchlist" and am looking forward to watching it. It is so important that women share their stories here; share what helps. My mother never had nausea (she thought it had to do with the fact that she also never had morning sickness during her pregnancies - maybe there is science behind that?!). I had started trying to piece together some of my mother's notes and treatments, but I haven't gone too far through; it's still painful each time. I hope to get there someday soon.

I wish you the best of luck with your treatments and battle. I 100% believe that my mother was able to go 6.5 years because of her attitude. She was always smiling. Always had hope. Even when hit with nasty side effects, she thanked her God for the health she DID still have, and for the love of her family that surrounded her. Attitude and HOPE are incredibly important!!

Hugs from Northern NY.

Alicia

Posted : 05/10/2018 8:37 am
(@michelle)
Topic starter

Thank you Alicia!
I believe also that attitude, hope, and prayer makes a big difference.

I met with my naturopath and she was happy how the first chemo went overall.

I did have some nausea 2-3 days post chemo but I used marijuana to help over come it. Marijuana is legal in PA for certain medical conditions. I did have some joint and muscle ache as well.

I had acupuncture on what turned out to be my worse day. I think the acupuncturist tried to do too much and the treatment wasn't as effective.

I did not have any neuropathy and I'm so thankful for that!

I do have to gain some weight back before my next chemo in 2 weeks but my appetite and tastes haven't changed so that's positive.

Now, I have to start thinking about radiation treatments too. I'm not sure how I can protect myself from those side effects.

Posted : 07/10/2018 3:46 am
(@michelle)
Topic starter

I just started a meditation with movement (yoga) practice. I had a great first session with an practitioner. Cancer does feed on stress so calming the mind and body are so important in this busy world. The mind can powerfully affect the body so this also incorporated visualizing breathing in good air for healthy cells and breathing out cancer cells.

I now have a 30 minute pre bedtime meditation/movement routine.

Posted : 17/10/2018 3:32 pm
(@michelle)
Topic starter

I finished by chemo over a month ago and feeling great! I credit my naturopath, acupuncturist, and most of all my husband for keeping me on track. My post chemo CT was clear and my oncologist is very happy. He was a little concerned about all my fasting but I persisted.

My husband has been so supportive of the change to a whole food, plant based diet that he is taking an advanced plant based cooking course. We have been eating some very tasty practice dishes!

Now, I've begun moving forward and making some more positive lifestyle changes both in my professional and personal life.

I've started PT for pelvic floor issues from the hysterectomy and brachytherapy. I believe these sessions will be really helpful.

Posted : 07/03/2019 1:46 am
(@margret)
Eminent Member

Hallo Michelle could you tell me what was the does of Ubiquinol that you took? Thank you very much for your precious information!

Posted : 02/07/2019 10:59 am
(@margret)
Eminent Member

I would wonder if you take any treatment to prevent relapse. I looked for a doctor which could suggest some phytotherapy but I anyone responded. So I suggested my mother to take Reishi mushroom 2g and Cat's Claw tea.

Posted : 04/12/2019 11:38 am
Share:

News and Events