Login | Register

Forum

Forum

Adjuvant radiothera...

Notifications
Clear all

Adjuvant radiotherapy, how is your experience?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@margret)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Does someone has experience with adjuvant radiotherapy? How where the sideeffects? Thank you!

Posted : 06/06/2019 8:28 pm
(@mariannekramer1comcast-net)

I would also like to hear from anyone receiving targeted radiation, pelvic region, after their chemo treatment. I am scheduled for 5X week for 5 weeks, each appt. lasting approx. 15 minutes each. But am wondering about side effects and if it is practical to go to work throughout the 5 week regimen.

Posted : 04/12/2019 4:34 am
(@margret)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Dear Marianne

I can tell you how it was for my mother. We considered to make proton therapy instead radiotherapy, but it meant to stay away from home for about 6 weeks and probably we would have to cower the cost of the treatment, so we decided to underwent radiotherapy. She had the same regime like you, but in combination with Cisplatin to potentate the effect of the radiotherapy. From the Cisplatin she had nausea, with the use of strong antiemetics it went away. After two weeks of radiotherapy she started to have a little pain in the bowel and diarrhea. She had also loss of appetite and she felt tired. But she could manage here daily life more or less like before. To reach the hospital she had to travel one hour and I think this was the most exhausting aspect. As support therapy I can recommend you:
Calendula cream for the skin (bowel)
Hamamelis water for the skin (genital area)
Cranberry Tablet high does (to prevent bladder infection)
Probiotics (tp prevent diarrhea)
Caloric and Protein supplements, like Fresubin (it is very important you keep your weight, except you are overweight)
If you want to work I would suggest you to work in the morning and make the radiation in the afternoon. I think so it would be possible, especially the first weeks.
My mother had also 3x Brachytherapy (ones a week one).
If you have any questions, just ask.
Wish you all the best!

Posted : 04/12/2019 11:06 am
(@wiltke)
Eminent Member

Dear Margret and Marianne,

Thank you for posting your questions and writing about your experiences.

Marianne - I hope you do well with pelvic radiation. Please continue to write and let us know how you do. Hoping others will share their experiences with this.

Magret - The list of supportive therapies your mom is using is impressive. Thanks for including these. I was not familiar with Hamamelis water, so I looked it up. We call it "witch hazel" in the US - and like your Hamamelis water, it's water-based.

Kathy

Posted : 08/12/2019 11:16 am
(@motherblogger)

Thank you for sharing this information.

Posted : 04/01/2020 9:53 am
Share:

News and Events